Software Development Manager
Are you passionate about education and looking for a role at a fast growing company in the heart of Toronto's tech sector? If so, please read on!
We believe that great professionals are more than just book smart. We help academic programs find stronger students by delivering robust assessments of professionalism and personal characteristics of applicants. Think of us like an SAT for professionalism. Our main assessment, the CASPer test, is used widely for high stakes admissions for Medicine, Teachers Education, Nursing, Pharmacy, Dentistry and Optometry in Canada, the US and as far away as Australia.
We are looking for a Software Development Manager to lead, support, and mentor our software team. As a strong coder and decision maker, you’ll enable a talented team of developers to innovate powerful features for our product. You’ll have a direct impact on the growth and development of your team and take pride in their successes and support them through their failures.
What would you be doing?
- Work side-by-side with your team to solve the day-to-day technical challenges, keep the team motivated and focused, identify opportunities for mentorship, and support a fun culture
- Manage and maintain overall software development process
- Work closely with the product team to help create, prioritize, communicate, manage, and execute roadmaps, project plans, and commitments
- Hire, mentor, and review your team on an ongoing basis
- Set correct project expectations, hold internal contributors accountable for their deadlines & deliverables; pro-actively follow up with process participants
- Ensure quality of the process and deliverables
- Remove process bottlenecks and escalate to resolve issues
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in the field by continuous learning and proactively champion promising new methods relevant to the problems at hand
- Offer hands-on assistance with work through familiarity with the tools, technologies and processes used in software development and QA
- Leadership, team motivation, and decision making skills
- Ability to think strategically, execute effectively, and deliver high quality work against tight deadlines, while guiding others through complexity, ambiguity, and uncertainty
- Has some serious coding skills, but is also abundantly humble, can be wrong, and wants to seek out the best solution, whatever the source
- Has a high level of curiosity surrounding our tech stack, process refinement, and user base
- Has great written and oral communication skills
- Has strong analytical skills and structured approach to coding (requirements gathering and definition, documentation, refactoring, best practices)
- Loves the ambiguity and fast paced nature of a growing company
- Wants to be part of an amazing team that cares for each other, and cares about the long term success of the company
Also, the ideal candidate will also be someone who is:
- Looking for a long-term relationship at a growing company
- Comfortable with ambiguity, a fast-paced environment, and prefers change over status-quo. We are growing quickly and you’ll be involved in fixing/expanding processes that will break!
- Is a highly curious self starter who can get things done, acts like an owner, but is also abundantly humble and coachable. We minimize drama and prefer people who are quietly self confident.
- Interested in being part of an amazing, caring team, and wants to build a high growth but sustainable business
- Free snacks, drinks, and coffee in our office
- $1500 annual personal and professional development budget
- Generous vacation policy
- Comprehensive health, dental and life insurance coverage
- Parental leave coverage
- Team building and social events
Altus is proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors. Special accommodations for candidates with disabilities can be made during the interview process if requested.